By adding two new ingredients and adjusting the amounts of others, I’ve turned traditional gluten free bread into this soft and light gluten free egg free bread recipe. The flavors of ancient grain flours make this bread especially flavorful. I had to adjust a method here and there, but it was all worthwhile. I’m sure everyone will enjoy this bread.
Gluten-Free Egg-Free Ancient Grain Bread
A light and fluffy gluten free egg free sandwich bread that everyone can enjoy. The flavors of ancient grain flour make this bread especially flavorful.
- 1/3 cup liquid from canned cannellini (white kidney) beans
- 1-1/4 cups + 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil (Ex: light olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or organic sugar)
- 4 teaspoon instant yeast (SAF)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon potato starch
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup total of millet flour, amaranth flour, and ivory or brown teff flour*
- 1/4 cup golden** flaxseed meal (or brown)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder (Rumford's)
- Add the bean liquid to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk/balloon attachment. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- While bean juice is mixing, heat the water, oil, and honey to between 100 - 115ºF. Stir in the yeast; set aside. (It will become extremely foamy on top.)
- Pour the yeast mixture into the mixer and beat on low speed a few seconds to combine.
- Add the flax seed meal to the mixer and beat on low until combined; set aside to rest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (potato starch, cornstarch, sorghum flour, millet flour, amaranth flour, teff flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.) Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- While the mixer is running, oil and dust with sorghum flour, an 8 x 4 x 4 or 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Transfer dough to the prepared pan. Allow the dough to rise in a warm (8ºF) environment for 40 minutes or the dough reaches about 2 inches above the rim of the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF about 15 minutes prior to the completion of the dough rising.
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes on the center shelf of the oven.
- Immediately remove the bread from the pan and transfer to a wire rack for 2 hours or until completely cool.
*I used 1/4 cup millet, 2 tablespoon amaranth, and 2 tablespoons ivory teff.
**Golden flaxseed meal melts into the bread and is not detectable once baked. However, brown flax seed leaves behind golden specks in the bread.
Use the white kidney beans to make White Bean Chili.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.