If you have 10 or 15 minutes, you can whip up dessert for two without using any special gluten free ingredients. A matter of fact, you don’t need to be on a gluten free diet to enjoy this timeless treasure. What’s new about the recipe is the method of cooking. You make them in a microwave in just 15 to 30 seconds each! It can be a life-saver when a dessert goes wrong or you run out of time to make a dessert at all. I like to do it when I’m just plain tired, as in a late night snack.
Gluten Free Flourless Lava Mug Cake for Two
Without using any flour at all, you can make this flourless lava mug cake right in your microwave in seconds. It tastes super rich as if you slaved all day.
- Oil, for mugs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten free cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder (Rumford)
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (I use organic)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 teaspoon pure/gluten-free vanilla extract
- Thoroughly oil two 6 to 8-ounce mugs or ramekins; remove any excess oil.
- Sift the sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
- Distribute the batter between evenly between the mugs.
- Microwave one cake at a time for 15 - 30 seconds (Microwave times will vary. My 1200-watt microwave took 17 seconds to cook.) If the cake overcooks, it will not leave the traditional runny chocolate in the center but will cook like a solid cake.)
- Serve immediately or immediately invert the cake onto a plate. (If you allow the cake to remain the mug it may continue to cook.) Serve with ice cream, lightly sweetened whipped cream and or a fresh or strawberry, dusted with confectioners' sugar, or plain.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.