Without the use of white refined starch or gums, the almond crust for this gluten free lemon bar mug dessert recipe is reminiscent of cookie dough. The filling is just like your favorite lemon bars but can be made in the microwave in a few seconds. The crust is also made in the microwave under 1 minute. This is a must-make gluten free recipe and perfect for portion control. There are no leftovers to tempt you! Choose between strawberry, blueberry, and lemon bars.
Gluten Free Lemon Bar Mug Dessert
For the Crust:
- 2 tablespoons almond flour* I used superfine but you don't have to
- 2 teaspoons melted unsalted butter*
For the Filling:
- 3 dashes salt in a whole beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg**
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or less to your liking
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or pureed strawberries or 10 fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or LorAnn Oils strawberry or blueberry emulsion
To Make the Crust:
To a mug or ramekin, add the almond flour. Pour the melted butter on top and mix to combine. Using the back of the measuring spoon press the crossed into the bottom of the cup and slightly up the sides.
Cook the crust 25 seconds in the microwave) (based on a 1200 watt microwave); set aside.
To Make the Filling:
Place the egg and salt in a small bowl; whisk to combine; set aside.
In a small, clean bowl or cup, add 1 tablespoon beaten egg.
Slowly add the melted butter, mixing constantly.
Mix in the sugar.
Add the lemon juice, puree, or blueberries, and extract/emulsion; whisk thoroughly to combine.
Pour mixture over the crust. Microwave for 50 seconds.
Remove and set aside to cool until set. Refrigeration will speed up this process.
*If you use a shallow ramekin made for creme brulee, use 3 tablespoons almond flour + 1 tablespoon butter.
**For egg-free, substitute the 1 tablespoon of beaten egg with 2 teaspoons liquid from a can of cannellini beans plus 1 teaspoon additional butter or margarine.