Not everyone heals by going gluten-free alone. If your symptoms persist, try going dairy-free as well. Using this dairy free ricotta cheese recipe is a step in the right direction. I tested this recipe alongside real ricotta cheese and the only difference was that the homemade version had a little more flavor to it. It’s simply delicious!
If you cannot find extra firm tofu, use a tofu press to make the tofu drier and firmer.
A smooth homemade cheesy gluten-free and dairy-free ricotta cheese recipe. You may never go back to dairy ricotta even if you don't need dairy-free. Use in lasagna or to top pizza.
- 8 ounces cubed extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 to 3 teaspoons nutritional yeast (gluten-free)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons neutral-flavored oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt, as desired
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Start with only 1/8 teaspoon of salt and add more if desired. Using 1/4 cup cashews makes a substitute for whole milk dairy ricotta cheese. To create a lower-fat version, use as little as 2 tablespoons of cashews. Using 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast creates a little more cheesy flavor than traditional ricotta. You may begin by adding only 2 teaspoons, and then an additional teaspoon if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate to store. Use in lasagna, cannoli filling, and on pizza.
This post is sponsored by TofuBud and contains a link to their product.
2 Replies to “Homemade Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese Recipe (Gluten Free)”
Thank you for your hard work and inspiration, Carla. This recipe really helps my dairy free family!
This dairy free ricotta is a life saver! I used it in a lasagna and could not tell the difference to regular. And using the shelf stable boxed tofu means I can keep the ingredients on hand.