Along the way, I’ve learned the key to making meatballs to prevent them falling apart, without being dry and flavorless. These gluten free meatballs have plenty of flavor, are moist, and stay together. You’ll love them with spaghetti/marinara sauce or as appetizers with a dip. However, you’ll be tempted to eat them right out of the oven. Yes. That’s right, oven!
Gluten Free Meatballs Made with Beef and Veal (or Sausage)
Gluten free meatballs that hold together, stay moist, and tastes delicious.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1 pound ground beef
- 7 ounces ground veal (or lean pork)
- 1 cup Gluten Free Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or Kraft canister)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk (or dairy-free substitute)
- Gluten Free Marinara Sauce (optional)
- Preheat a skillet with oil. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Slightly beat the eggs and set aside.
- Add the ingredients to a large bowl in the order they are listed. (You may add the onion at any time, but wait until it cools a bit. You don't want hot onion to cook the eggs.)
- Using your hands, squish the mixture between your fingers until thoroughly combined. Do not over-mix as eggs become tough when over-handled.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with additional oil.
- Using a spring-action scooper or 1/8 cup dry measuring cup, scoop 2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture,
- Working in batches, fry the meatballs until they are brown on all sides. Set browned meatballs on a baking sheet.
- Once you have one batch frying, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once all of the meatballs are brown, bake on the center shelf until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Simmer in marinara sauce or your favorite gluten-free spaghetti sauce.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Weight Watchers Points: 2 per meatball