This chocolate ice cream recipe is just to die for! I double the recipe and make it in my 2 qt. Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine. It is the richest ice cream I have ever tasted! The original recipe I tried earlier had less non-fat milk and more half and half. That was way too rich! Check out my version and it is still super rich and triple chocolate though I have lessened that, as well.
Rich Chocolate Ice Cream for Machine
A rich, creamy, chocolate ice cream made regular or dairy-free.
- 7/8 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pure cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 17/8 cups non-fat milk (or Almond milk)
- 1/2 cup half & half, heavy whipping cream (or for dairy free, 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk or 1/4 cup egg yolks)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a food processor mix sugar, cocoa, and if using, xanthan gum.
- Add eggs (and egg yolks, if using) and blend until creamy and sugar is dissolved.
- Bring milk almost to a boil in heavy 2 qt. saucepan.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add half of the heated milk to the chocolate mixture and blend well. Add in cream and blend more.
- Add the above mixture back to the rest of the milk mixture left in the pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon or whisk, until mixture coats the back of spoon or the sides of the pan. (Do not not allow to boil).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator until at least room temperature, but cold is preferred.
- Add cold mixture to ice cream machine according to directions provided by manufacturer. I run mine for about 20-25 minutes in a Cuisinart 2-quart ice cream machine.
- Freeze leftovers in air tight container for about 2 hours for firm ice cream; less for softer.Thaw for about 15 minutes before serving or take your chances in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, testing for the desired softness. I place a double batch of this recipe, after it has been frozen for about a day, in the microwave for about 60 seconds or more. Therefore, one quart should be soft enough after 30 seconds on high.
- Top with your favorite topping. My husband likes chocolate morsels and I love walnuts. We both enjoy this ice cream with a gluten-free brownie, as well.
You can add chocolate nibs, mini chocolate chips or chopped walnuts or pecans towards the end of the mixing cycle, depending upon the manufacturer's instructions.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.