Decades ago, rhubarb was considered a vegetable. It actually is, but in 1947 it was reclassified as a fruit because that’s what people used it as. No matter the classification, rhubarb complements desserts well as its tartness balances out sweet flavors. This strawberry rhubarb dessert not only makes for a cooling summer treat, but a healthy one. Rhubarb contains Vitamin C, A and potassium. Potassium is a great way to fight the summer’s heat. It definitely adds a splash of color to the table and it’s fairly easy to make. I like it because it’s naturally gluten free. Enjoy!
Rhubarb and Strawberry Dessert Soup (Naturally Gluten Free)
Splash into the warm weather with seasonal fruit! This strawberry rhubarb dessert makes the perfect after dinner dessert with its splash of red wine (skip for the kids).
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons red wine
- 4 cups (1 lb.) rhubarb, rinsed, ends removed, and sliced
- 4 cups (1 lb.) strawberries, rinsed and stemmed
- Zest of one lemon (optional)
- Homemade Sweetened Whipped Cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan, add the water and carefully add the sugar without splashing any water on the sides of the pan. Do not stir it, just yet. Allow the sugar to melt on its own. If you stir it too soon you may cause the sugar to crystallize if it gets on the side of the pan. Once the sugar has melted, stir gently.
- Add the sliced rhubarb and lemon zest to the pan, cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the strawberries. Stir and pour into a heatproof bowl and refrigerate until both the rhubarb and strawberries are tender and chilled well.
- While the soup is chilling, whip the cream and refrigerate covered until you are ready to serve the soup.
- To serve, pour the soup into individual bowls. Place a dollop of stiff whipped cream in the center of each bowl.
Do not consume the leaves of the rhubarb as they are toxic to humans, and in large quantities, to small pets. Using them in compost, however, is safe.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.