I’m a sucker for anything watermelon including watermelon beverages both with or without alcohol. And a fresh watermelon martini is one of my faves, actually any melon. Martinis are naturally gluten-free, as the vodka is distilled, which most manufacturers claim removes any gluten. You will find that some vodka brands are made from wheat, rye, barley and fortunately, potatoes. I like to play it safe and use a potato vodka, but I have only tasted two, and do not care for either, unless they are mixed with a lot of something sweet. Fresh watermelon, agave and optional citrus will do the trick!
I’ll get to the recipe, but wanted you to learn about the ingredients of Vodka first. Per my friend, KC, over at G-Free Foodie, the following brands are made with gluten-free ingredients:
Corn: Smirnoff, SF Vodka “Baker Beach”
Potato: Chopin, Teton Glacier, Monopolowa, Vikingfjord, Luksosowa, Blue Ice
Grape: Cîroc, Bombora, DiVine, SF Vodka “China Beach”
Read entire article at the following link: ”The Great Gluten Free Vodka Debate – The Answers, Please“.
A refreshing fresh watermelon martini without the artificial flavors and chemicals many mixes contain.
- Appx. 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 6 Tablespoons agave syrup
- 4 shots vodka (potato vodka, if highly gluten intolerant)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Sugar or evaporate cane juice for rim (optional)
- Puree watermelon in a blender; strain into a measuring cup (you want to end up with 1 1/2 cup watermelon juice); place back in blender.
- Add agave syrup and (if using lemon juice); blend for about 10 seconds.
- Fill a cocktail shaker half way with ice; add half of watermelon mixture; cover and shake.
- If you desire, garnish the glass with sugar by placing some granulated sugar in a saucer as wide as the rim of your glass. Take a watermelon cube about 1/2" wide or more; slice it half way down the middle and rub it around the rim of the glass. Dip the glass upside down in the sugar; shake off any excess sugar.
- Pour watermelon cocktail into the glass. Voila! You have yourself a a gluten-free cocktail!