I love this gluten free breakfast casserole because it so versatile! And my guests have raved about it, especially when made with bacon. You can skip adding meat altogether or replace the gluten-free sausage with gluten-free bacon or gluten-free ham. You can also skip the onion, add bell pepper or add more cheese. I have made a single recipe in a 7″ deep dish pie pan and a 9×9″ glass casserole dish. I have also 1.5 times the recipe in a 9×13″ glass baking dish. This makes a great brunch dish. Be creative with this one and enjoy!
A gluten free breakfast casserole dish that receives rave reviews from all of my guests. Great for making in advance. Just add eggs and cheese prior to baking.
- 1/2 lb. ground gluten-free sausage, casings removed (or couple handfuls of crumbled gluten-free bacon)
- 2 lbs. (about 4 large) peeled and shredded potatoes (or 1 package gluten-free frozen hash browns)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 -1 cup shredded cheese (your favorite) (I used sharp cheddar)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped finely (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown sausage in an a large pan or skillet (non-oiled); drain fat; allow to drain more on paper towels; set aside.
- In the same pan or a preheated pan with oil, brown potatoes along with onion, about 10 minutes.
- Spray oil or oil a 9x9" casserole dish (I used a deep dish pie dish); fold in hashbrowns, onion, sausage, salt and pepper; sprinkle with additional sausage on the top; pour in raw eggs.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until egg is cooked thoroughly. If you wish a browner top place under broiler until it reaches your desired color.
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.
In collaboration with MassGeneral Hospital, 50% of all proceeds are donated to their Center for Celiac Research and Treatment.