If you wish to make to make a plain cheesecake without using any graham crackers for the crust see my Gluten Free Cheesecake Recipe with optional chocolate topping. Today’s recipe is a Chocolate Cheesecake, layered with plain cheesecake and chocolate mint cheesecake, and then swirled with both on top. It looks gorgeous, yet is so easy to create this effect. I added the mint for a Christmas touch, but you can skip the mint all together, as it contains plenty of vanilla extract.
You may lessen the chocolate in the chocolate layer if you desire. As is, this is a extremely rich decadent dessert. A couple our guests added chocolate fudge to the top. I tasted it, but it was way too rich for even this chocolate lover! I hope you get a chance to enjoy this sometime. We all did! People raved about it and even asked for the recipe.
- 10 oz. (by weight) Pamela's Products Simplebites Extreme Chocolate Chip Mini Cookies (one 7 oz. package, plus 12 additional cookies)
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups (10 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 4 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon mint extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl over (not in) a pan of boiling water; keep warm.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs one at the time until each is blended in well on low to medium speed.
- Add whipping cream, vanilla and mint extracts; and blend again on low speed.
- Add 2 cups of mixture to the springform pan and spread; set aside 1/4 cup of batter.
- To a large baking pan place springform pan; add enough water to go half way up the side of the pan, creating a water bath.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Blend the chocolate and flour into the remaining batter, not into the 1/4 cup that you set aside.
- Once the first layer is baked; remove from oven; add chocolate layer.
- Add dollops of the plain batter (1/4 cup) and swirl into the chocolate layer only.
- Return to oven in the water bath and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Refrigerate overnight. This cheesecake may be made 2-3 days in advance.
- The crust on this recipe is gooey. If you wish a more traditional cookie crust, add less butter. Pamela's cookie bag contains a recipe for a traditional crust, though it is not large enough for a 10" springform pan.
When I measured my pan it was actually less than 10" on the outside, and 9 1/2" in the inside.
I wanted to add 2 tablespoons of flour to the entire batter, but forgot and then added 1 tablespoon to the chocolate batter. I provided you with the recipe as I made it, but you can always add 2 tablespoons to the entire batter if you desire. The flour gives it a less gooey texture, and puffs it out a bit.
This recipe is not corn-free due to the xanthan gum in the cookies.