This chocolate ice cream recipe is just to die for! I double the recipe and make it in my 2 qt. Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine. It is the richest ice cream I have ever tasted! The original recipe I tried earlier had less non-fat milk and more half and half. That was way too rich! Check out my version and it is still super rich and triple chocolate, though I have lessened that, as well.
A rich, creamy, chocolate ice cream made regular or dairy-free.
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup half & half or heavy whipping cream (or 1/4 cup egg yolks)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum (optional)
- In a food processor mix sugar and cocoa.
- Add eggs (and egg yolks, if using) and blend until creamy and sugar is dissolved.
- Bring milk almost to a boil in heavy 2 qt. saucepan.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add half of the heated milk to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Add in cream, if using, and blend more.
- Sprinkle in gum, if using, and blend more.
- Add the above mixture back to the rest of the milk mixture left in the pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, until mixture coats the back of spoon, like when you make pudding, (do not not allow to boil).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla to mixture, stir well.
- Allow to cool in refrigerator until at least room temperature, but cold is preferred.
- Add cold mixture to ice cream machine according to directions provided by manufacturer. I run mine for about 20-25 minutes.
- Freeze for a about 2 hours for firm ice cream; less for softer.
- Freeze leftovers in air tight container. Thaw out for about 15 minutes before serving or take your chances in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, testing for the desired softness. I place a double batch of this recipe, after it has been frozen for about a day, in the microwave for about 60 seconds or more. Therefore, one quart should be soft enough after 30 seconds on high.
- Top with your favorite topping. My husband likes chocolate morsels and I love walnuts. We both enjoy this ice cream with a gluten-free brownie, as well.