Let’s face it french fries that have been deep fried are high in calories. If you’d like a french fry lower in fat and calories just bake them. I’m all for low fat french fries! I recently purchased a Nonstick French Fry Baking Pan which allows the heat to rise from the bottom through holes in the pan, allowing browning to occur on both sides. A little olive oil spray makes them taste like regular french fries.
Baked french fries, saving on fat and calories.
- 2 small peeled potatoes
- Gluten free olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 420° F.
- Cut potatoes in half, length-wise.
- Slice the halves, about 1/4 to 1/3" thick.
- Cut the slices into french fry sized sticks, about 1/4 to 1/3".
- As you are cutting them toss them in a bowl of filtered water and rinse several times prior to baking to remove some of the starch. This creates browner french fries.
- Pat dry with sturdy paper towels or clean kitchen towel.
- Add to baking pan or cookie sheet; spray with oil; toss to coat; and spray again.
- Bake on center shelf in oven for about 20 minutes.
- Once fries are tender, turn oven up to broil and cook until desired browning has been achieved.
If you cut the potatoes thicker and/or use very large potatoes bake them at 425°F.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.