We recently had guests for several days who had food intolerances. The one who was not vegetarian tasted this gluten free lentil soup and said it was the best lentil soup she ever had and asked for a bowl. She normally doesn’t care for lentil soup. I hope you enjoy it just as much. It’s packed with double the flavor compared to my other lentil bacon soup recipe.
Best Gluten Free Lentil Bacon Soup
- 6 slices gluten free bacon (Applegate, Hormel Natural Choice, or Hormel Black Label), finely chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped (3-1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (1/2 to 2/3 cup)
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups gluten free beef broth (Better Than Bouillon + water)
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth (Better Than Bouillon + water)
- 1 pound dried brown lentils
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sal
- 1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced (optional)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Place the bacon in a cold skillet and fry until fully cooked, not crisp.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots, stir, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the bacon is slightly crisp.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the beef and chicken broth.
- Add the lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover leaving the lid cocked open a bit. Lower and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Use a handheld blender to puree about 1/4 of the soup or until it is thick enough for your liking. If it is too thick, add additional chicken or beef broth. And season again with additional salt and pepper, if needed. (Alternatively, add 2 -4 cups of soup to a countertop blender and puree until creamy. The more more you Cream, the thicker the soup.)
- Garnish with fresh parsley or basil. consider serving with Gluten Free Garlic Bread.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.