A while back I had made some chicken, tostada style. My husband eats gluten and he had some tortillas, but I was out my homemade gluten free tortillas. I happened to have some left over rice in the frig and voila! – an easy gluten free dinner recipe. I wasn’t happy with the photo and never posted it, but thought it is best to share and you can make your dish look more attractive. I like to make this recipe nice and saucy, adding much more chicken broth than a regular tostada. You make your own broth when cooking the chicken, therefore, you save money, too!
I am allergic to tomatoes, therefore, you won’t see any in my photos, but you can definitely add some.
Chicken Tostada Over Rice Recipe
An inexpensive substitute for gluten free tortillas is rice. Use it for tostadas when in a pinch!
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- Water, enough to cover chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Corn starch, tapioca flour/starch or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- Cooked white, brown or gluten free Spanish rice
- Add chicken breasts to a medium sized pan; cover with water; bring to boil; and lower to simmer for about 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- In a large frying pan, saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Drain green chili and add to pan along with all spices; stir well; lower heat; and stir occasionally.
- Shred chicken with hands; and add to frying pan.
- Add about 3 cups chicken broth (or to however much you wish for sauce) from the chicken pan; add shredded chicken; and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Turn heat to high.
- Add your preferred starch to a small left over container with equal amounts of filtered water; shake and slowly add some to the chicken mixture until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Serve immediately, as the thickness of your sauce may change if you wait.
- Serve over rice; top with your favorite tostada toppings: lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado, gluten free sour cream, Greek yogurt, guacamole or peppers. Depending upon your toppings, this can be made dairy free.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See more Gluten Free Chicken Recipes.