I’ve been married for over 37 years. So, I have tried several different methods and recipes for mashed potatoes. It wasn’t until recently when I made a recipe using organic yellow potatoes that I realized they are the best potatoes to use for mashed potatoes. They are simply creamier. You can even leave their thin skin on. I love that! It cuts down on the prep time so much!
I have made mashed potatoes with Yukon potatoes, but they were not as good as these. In addition to using yellow potatoes, I found the perfect balance of cream and butter to use during the holidays. I wouldn’t ever use cream in my everyday mashed potatoes (can’t afford the calories), but these are a special treat for guests.
This recipe is available to everyone.
The Creamiest Yellow Mashed Potatoes
Creamy yellow potatoes turn into the creamiest mashed potatoes when all is balanced perfectly. They are the best mashed potatoes I have made in my 37 years of marriage.
- 4 pounds yellow organic potatoes (Earthbound Farm), peeled or not peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted or salted butter (or dairy-free spread)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or additional dairy-free spread)
- Salt, to taste
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water as you cut them up. Be sure they are completely covered with water about 1-inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Then lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until a steak knife pierced into the potatoes is not met with any resistance.
- Drain the water from the saucepan and transfer the potatoes to the bowl of your electric mixer. Add the butter, cream, and just a little bit of salt and white pepper. You can always add more if needed. Mix on medium speed until no potato lumps remain.
- Taste the mashed potatoes and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Don't be afraid to kick up a little heat and add lots of pepper, if that's what you like.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.