Do you miss those crispy noodles you used to place on top of chow mein? I am often asked for a recipe for these and usually refer everyone to the batter that Gluten Free Chef Rob uses for his crispy onion rings, minus a few seasonings. However, I thought it was time to publish an authentic-style recipe using homemade chow mein dough. I hope you enjoy these crispy, gluten free chow mein noodles. They go well with many of these Gluten Free Asian Recipes or many other gluten free recipes. We sure did!
Stay tuned in for the video on how to roll and cut the dough!
Crispy Gluten Free Chow Mein Noodles Recipe (Spicy Options)
For an authentic-style crispy gluten free chow mein noodle recipe, either make white noodles or the spicy, golden version. Either way, they add crunch to your meals. Don't stop at Asian dishes. They're great on casseroles, green beans and more.
- 1/2 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup cornstarch, plus more for dusting
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika (optional for color and flavor)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 - 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil (up to 1/2 teaspoon red hot chili oil, if desired, for heat).
- Preheat a deep-fryer to 375ºF or a Dutch oven or deep pot over medium-high heat. Then lower the heat to medium or whatever temperature needed to keep the oil at 375ºF.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour blend, cornstarch, salt, and paprika, if using. (Without paprika, the noodles will turn out white, not golden.)
- Stir in the beaten egg, water, and oil.
- Turn dough out onto a non-stick surface dusted with cornstarch. Knead until smooth, 4 - 5 minutes.
- Break a piece of dough off and store the remaining in a ziplock bag and set aside.
- Roll out the dough on a cornstarch-dusted surface and slice into spaghetti strands. Cut the strands into 2-inch long strands.
- Working in small batches, fry noodles for 4 minutes or until crispy and deep golden brown.
- Repeat to finish the remaining dough or freeze. Allow frozen dough to defrost at room temperature.
- Serve with Asian dishes such as over Pineapple Chicken and rice. Or under pineapple chicken as a substitute for rice.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.