You can make crunchy gluten free peanut butter cookies in the microwave! Who knew?! They are easy, fast, and delicious! They only take 1 minute to bake, if you can wait that long. This is the best cookie dough I’ve ever had. It’s hard to wait to bake them!
Crunchy Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies in the Microwave
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick unsalted butter (or Smart Balance for dairy-free or Earth Balance for vegan)
- 1/4 cup shortening or more butter for softer cookies
- 1/2 cup creamy salted peanut butter or add 1/4 teaspoon salt for unsalted (or sesame butter for peanut-free)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar vegan if needed
- 1/2 cup light/golden brown sugar vegan if needed
- 1 large egg lightly beaten (or 2 tablespoons liquid from can of cannellini beans + 1 tablespoon butter/margarine)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend Recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and microwave for about 2 minutes on low (level 8) or until melted.
Immediately stir in the shortening. Then, add the peanut butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour blend, baking soda, and salt. Add all at once to the peanut butter mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
On a smooth surface such as a sheet of plastic wrap or a silicone baking mat, shape the dough into a 16-inch log. Slice as many 1/3-inch thick slices as you desire to immediately bake.
Transfer the slices to a sheet of parchment paper. For crunchy cookies, (based on a 1200 watt microwave) bake at Level 5 according to the number of cookies you are baking: 1 cookie = 60 seconds/1 minute; 2 cookies = 1 minute 5 seconds; 3 cookies = 70 seconds/1 min. 10 seconds, 5 cookies = 80 seconds/1 min. + 20 seconds, etc.
The longer you bake them, the crunchier they will turn out. For softer cookies similar to shortbread, bake at a lower temperature like Level 4 and/or use butter in place of shortening.