You can make this easy mango chutney recipe and serve it with your favorite Indian dishes such as butter chicken or my fave, Chicken Korma. It’s even great on a Pulled Pork sandwich. You can also serve it atop plain meat or rice dishes. Its sweet and spicy accents make a simple dish spectacular.
Gluten Free Indian Mango Chutney Recipe
A sweet, spicy, tangy and naturally gluten free Indian mango chutney recipe. Adjust the spices to your taste and serve with your favorite Indian dishes or plain meats.
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large mangos, slightly ripe, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger, or less, to taste (or 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cardamon pods
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (or more cinnamon)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add mango chunks and if using, fresh ginger. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, ground ginger, if using, cardamom pods, ground cloves, cinnamon, and garam masal. Stir and cook over low heat until slices are tender and sauce thickens, about 15-20 minutes. (Be careful not to get the sugar crystals on the sides of the saucepan.)
- When mixture thickens, add vinegar and salt, to taste; and stir. Continue to cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temperature. It will thicken as it cools.
- Remove cardamon pods, discard, and stir in chili powder. Taste the chutney and add additional amounts of seasoning to your liking.
- When your Indian mango chutney is ready, transfer it either to a small serving bowl for serving or cover and refrigerate up to 1 month.
Add sauteed onion and/or celery, if desired.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.