I have been wanting to develop a gluten free chicken korma recipe for quite some time, now. It is my favorite Indian dish next to butter chicken. Chicken korma is a spicy Indian dish using turmeric or curry plus other spices. Along with cream, it creates a rich, flavorful dish. You can adjust the heat in this gluten free chicken korma by reducing the cayenne pepper, ginger, and coriander, if necessary. It is of medium heat for an Indian dish, though if not accustomed to Indian food, you may think it is hot. Indian food contains many anti-inflammatory spices, making it a smart choice for an entree.
Gluten Free Chicken Korma
A rich, creamy, gluten free chicken korma recipe that you can adjust the heat with the list included of the hotter spices. Either way, a delicious dish!
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gluten free garam masala
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or as desired
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 1/4 teaspoon stevia
- 2 teaspoons minced, fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown or white rice flour
- Preheat 1/4 cup oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until they begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in garlic. Sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, garam masala, salt, ginger, coriander, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional minute.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Once the pan heats up, add an additional tablespoon of oil, and then the chicken. Stir to combine and cook until golden brown and no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the water and deglaze the skillet by scraping off any ingredients that are stuck to the bottom.
- Add the cream, vinegar, and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is tender, stirring often.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Sprinkle with rice flour, and if using, cilantro. Stir until thick. Serve over basmati or white rice. Garnish with additional cilantro or flat-leaf parsley, if desired.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.