I was starving and opened the refrigerator to find nothing I wanted to eat. I saw about 3 bites of left over rice and some green chiles. I cooked more rice and added a few more ingredients and to my surprise, I had cooked dinner hours in advance. And it was so simple! It’s like a slightly spicy rice pilaf. I hope you enjoy this green chile rice recipe as much as we did!
Ginger and Green Chile Rice
A slightly spicy gluten free rice recipe using canned green chile and spices. It's great with chicken or beef.
- 3 cups cooked white rice in organic low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons gluten free diced green chile, canned (or fresh roasted)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or paste equivalent
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Cook rice in chicken broth instead of water according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Preheat a saute pan, add oil and allow to warm. Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add in green chile; stir and saute another minute.
- Add in garlic and nutmeg; cook another minute.
- Add cooked rice to the vegetable pan; mix and heat until warm.
- Add in parsley last to keep its green color.
You can stir in some ground beef, ground bison, or shredded chicken to make a casserole, if you desire. However, it will cut down considerably on the spiciness. When doing so, consider adding more ginger, green chile, onion, and garlic, especially if you like it spicy.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in:
Gluten Free Mexican Recipes
Tomato-Free Gluten-Free Chili Recipe with Green Chiles
Find brands of gluten free canned chiles in the Gluten Free Products List.