I have been on a spicy food kick lately. Can’t explain it, but these gluten free french fries hit the spot! I have been really enjoying experimenting with cultural food. I never thought I would ever eat spicy fries, but I loved these! This gluten free recipe was inspired by a recipe in Food and Wine magazine, and is naturally gluten-free. You can adjust the oil or use an oil of your liking. You can also adjust the heat of the spices.
If cooking for children, skip the cumin and especially peppers.
These soft Indian spiced French fries use turmeric, which many promote as anti-inflammatory. They taste like buttery goodness, but with olive oil instead!
Gluten Free Spicy Indian Fries
Soft Indian spiced french fries using turmeric. It's tastes like buttery goodness, but with olive oil instead!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled or not, and sliced into French fries, 1/3 x 1/3-inch wide
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or add red hot chili oil with olive oil, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
- Once you have your potatoes prepared, preheat a large skillet with oil. Add spices and mustard, and whisk for 30 seconds over medium heat. (Alternatively, you may preheat a large electric skillet to 350°.)
- Increase heat to medium-high or 400°F. Add potatoes and toss to coat with oil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat, cover, and cook until tender, 20 - 30 minutes, depending upon the size of fries. Stir occasionally. If you prefer crispy fries, remove cover once tender, increase heat to high, and fry until they reach your desired crispness.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.