It’s crazy how inexpensive this cake is to make, not to mention delicious. I bought the can of gluten free apple pie filling at Dollar Tree for $1, the copycat mix is only a little over $2 to make at home, and then throw in water, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Where can you get a buttery gluten free cake for that price? You have to try it! I’ve included dairy free substitutes.
Gluten Free Apple Custard Cake (Using Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix Copycat or Real) (Dairy-Free Options)
A moist creamy gluten free apple custard cake that you can even make dairy free! It is inexpensive and a nice, easy treat to make.
- Oil and dust with fine rice flour or brown rice flour, a 7-1/2 to 8-inch springform pan; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Follow the instructions at the above yellow cake mix and make the yellow cake batter using a total of 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) butter.
- Place half of the batter in the prepared pan, top with most of the apples in the can, but do not add any additional jelly from the can. Just whatever jelly covers the apple slices is sufficient.
- Top with the remaining batter and bake on the center shelf for 47 - 55 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles when you pull out the oven shelf to test the cake and the cake is firm in the center just like the edges. You want the center to feel like a fully cooked cake not mushy like there is raw batter under the crust.
- Remove the cake from the oven and transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove the ring from the cake and allow to fully cool for 1 hour 45 minutes. Slice and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or buttercream frosting.
*I recently read that most can foods contain an epoxy lining to extend shelf life. BPA can leach into the food. You can check online which brand contain this lining. I suspect that Comstock and Wilderness do, but I know for sure that Musselmann's does. If this concerns you, saute some peeled, sliced apples in melted butter and add some cinnamon or sweetener if needed. Then use the sauteed apples as a filling. It will not make much custard though.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.