This recipe can be made naturally gluten free, though I chose to add bacon, which you’ll need to ensure is gluten free. I love this gluten free broccoli salad, as it you can make it a number of ways….add shredded cheese, carrots, use almonds or walnuts, kick it up a notch with a spicy salad dressing, and more. I’ve listed a brand of bacon and bacon bits that are gluten free, but you can check out the Gluten Free Products List to find more. If you desire a dairy-free creamy dressing trying creaming avocado with a vinaigrette. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Gluten Free Broccoli Salad
A tasty gluten free broccoli salad served in a glass, sure to impress guests or make an everyday meal special; includes a number of variations.
- 1 head broccoli, florets only, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 slices gluten free bacon, cooked (or gluten free bacon bits such as Hormel bacon bits, pieces or crumbles)
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds (or sunflower seeds for nut-free)
- 3 pearl onions, sliced thinly (or red onion)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 carrot, shredded or julienne sliced, for garnish (or shredded cheese)
- Salad dressing of choice (I like mayonnaise, vinegar, salt & pepper)
- Boil a large pan of water; add broccoli pieces; cook for a short time, about 5 minutes, depending upon your tastes; drain; set aside.
- Fry bacon to a crisp; drain on paper towels; tear or cut into bite sized pieces; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; add almonds to a baking sheet in a single layer; bake for about 5 - 10 minutes, stirring/turning often; remove from pan; set aside. Alternatively, you can toast them in a frying pan on the stove top.
- To each glass, add your favorite creamy dressing, or if using vinaigrette, add last. Add broccoli, onions, raisins, toasted almonds, bacon pieces/bits; toss; top with a few shreds of carrots; and serve with extra dressing available.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See more Gluten Free Salad Recipes.