It is extremely important to use a moist cake recipe when making gluten free cake pops. They turn out much smoother. You can use these cake pops for Thanksgiving as a decoration or as a dessert. In addition, they would make a lovely hostess gift. There’s nothing like bringing something you can actually eat to a dinner party. Acorns are synonymous with fall so I chose to make them this shape versus balls. I think they turned out adorable. I was very pleased. You can use gluten free candy or chopped nuts for he tops. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Thanksgiving Cake Pops: Chocolate Acorns
Acorn shaped gluten free cake pops are perfect for fall or Thanksgiving day. Use your favorite moist, gluten free cake (any flavor) or the chocolate one provided.
- Bake the cake as instructed in the above link listed in the ingredients list, only to the point of baking and cooling. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop some cake onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using your hands, roll the cake firmly in the palm of your hands. Form into an acorn shape and push one pretzel stick in the top center of each acorn pop. Push a lollipop stick through one side, at an angle; and transfer the sticks, cake pop side up, into a piece of styrofoam. (Another option is to set them in the holes of a colander cockeyed so that they do not fall through.) Repeat this process until the cake is used up and refrigerate the pops for at least an hour.
- Once the cake pops are chilled, melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over simmering hot water, stirring occasionally. Stir until all chocolate is almost melted, remove from stove, and continue to stir until all is melted.
- While the chocolate is melting, touch up the cake pops if needed by smoothing them out between the palms of your hand.
- Using a skewer or end of a butter knife, dab a bit of chocolate where the cake pop meets the stick to help it adhere to the stick and allow it to set. (This prevents them from falling into the bowl of chocolate.)
- Dip each acorn into the melted chocolate, making sure that you twist it and allow all excess chocolate to drip off.
- Immediately add your chopped nuts or sprinkles to the top of each acorn.
- Set the dipped cake pops in the styrofoam again and allow to set.
- Store the cake pops in the refrigerate. Then 30 minutes before serving, take them out to reach room temperature.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Discover more Gluten Free Cake Pops Recipes.