Who said cookie baking had to only include cookies? Decorating these gluten-like homemade graham crackers works well, too. Learn how to make delicious, crunchy, gluten-like, gluten free graham crackers, as well as how to decorate them for the holidays without being an artist. Make various shapes and designs.
If you have a crunchy-loving person in your life, gluten free graham crackers are the perfect treat! If you don’t bake cookies during the holidays, these are a must-try anyway!
Gluten Free Christmas Graham Crackers
Learn how to make delicious, crunchy, gluten-like graham crackers, as well as how to decorate them for the holidays without being an artist. Make many shapes and designs.
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Fondant or (Satin Ice brand|https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKUERUU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=glufrerecbox-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00JKUERUU&linkId=079ed40c87768e740b53e892b19246ec] (comes in 2, 5, and 20 lb. buckets)
- Satin Ice Gum Paste
- Snowflake Fondant Plunger Cutter Set or your favorite design plungers
- Cookie Cutters
- 2 tablespoons gluten free vodka or rum (or use pure almond extract and allow to dry)
- Make the graham crackers as instructed in the above link; however, do not cut the raw dough into squares. Instead, use a cookie cutter, but do not remove the outer pieces of dough. Once they cool, just pop them out. They usually separate on their own.
- Combine one part fondant and one part gum paste. Knead until thoroughly combined. Roll out a small piece of the mixture. Using a plunger with a design of your choosing, cut out a design (see below video).
- Roll out a small piece of the mixture. Using a plunger with a design of your choosing, cut out a design (see the below video on how to use the plunger). Using a sharp tool, remove the outer fondant-paste.
- Brush the cut-out with clear rum or vodka to smooth out. Set aside to firm up a bit or attach immediately onto cooled crackers.
- Brush the back of the snowflake with simple syrup or water. If your fondant-paste is too soft and flimsy, carefully lay the fondant top side down and water side up. Then, gently lay the cracker on top. Set aside to dry.
While Satin Ice Fondant is free of gluten and egg, Satin Ice Gum Paste is not egg-free. To create an egg-free/vegan gum paste, add cellulose gum or gum tragacanth (Tylose or CMC) to Satin Ice fondants as a substitute for gum paste.
To make more decorated crackers, simply follow the directions for the crackers and cut them into squares. You can still decorate them with snowflakes. Or make the decorating simple and use a more detailed snowflake cookie cutter.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.