When I first tasted this gluten free puff pastry dough, I could have cried. I never thought in my wildest imagination that I would eat anything like this ever again. Make this impressive gluten free puffed pastry tart, using the same dough, for guest or any special occasion. No one would ever guess it is gluten free. Top with roasted shallots that melt in your mouth and chunks of feta or your favorite soft cheese and roasted vegetables. It is to die for! Enjoy.
Gluten Free Feta and Roasted Shallot Puff Pastry Tart
- A day or days in advance, make the puff pastry recipe. Roll out a bit, slice in two and fold each piece; wrap and freeze individually. (Do not refrigerate.)
- The day of baking, allow the dough to rest on the counter top to defrost.
To Roast the Shallots:
- While the dough defrosts, preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the shallots in a large bowl, add oil, and toss to coat. toss the shallots with the oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the onion to a baking sheet and distribute in a single layer.
- Bake on the center shelf until the shallots are browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. or until they are tender enough to your liking. Bake them for as long as 45 minutes for a melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes or until you can comfortably handle them. Using a knife, slice off the tops (not the root end) and discard the tops. Gently squeeze the shallots from the outer skin into a bowl.
- Toss with 2 tablespoons of oil and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste; set aside.
- When ready to bake your gluten free puff pastry tart, again, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a clean, cold, even surface lay out a sheet of parchment paper to 12 x 17-inches and dust with potato starch. Also, dust a cold rolling pin with potato starch. Roll out the dough into a rectangle about the size of your pan, approximately 12 x 15 inches. Have a cup of water nearby and dip your fingers in it and dab on the edges of the dough to prevent cracking (and anywhere else needed). Fold the edges up so that they will hold in the filling. Lifting the dough using the edges of the parchment paper, transfer to your baking sheet.
- Scallop the edges of the dough using your index finger from right hand pushing in the opposite direction as your thumb and index finger from your left hand.
- To make the egg wash, whisk together the egg yolk and milk. Brush the edges of the puff pastry dough with egg wash. Place the roasted onion and chunks of feta cheese on the unbaked dough.
- Drain any excess oil from the roasted shallots and distribute them in the puffed pastry dough. Scatter the chunks of feta among the onions.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. You may also place it under the broiler to brown more.
- Remove from the oven and transfer tart along with parchment paper to a wire rack to cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Slice and place on individual serving plates or top with arugula or basil and serve.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.