Whether you use ground turkey, beef, or buffalo, these gluten free mini burritos make a perfect summertime, or really, anytime, meal. You can even add chopped lettuce and avocado if you’d like. Be creative and follow your taste buds!
Links In Which You May Be Interested:
Substituting Corn Tortillas
If you only have access to corn tortillas, spread them out on a paper plate and microwave them on high for about 1 minute. This makes them a little chewy and prevents cracking.
Gluten Free Mini Burritos
- 2 recipes Whole Grain Gluten Free Tortillas (double recipe) (or your favorite small GF tortillas)
- 1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons gluten free taco seasoning (McCormick)
- 3/4 cup gluten free low-sodium beef* broth (or 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Organic Reduced-Sodium Beef Base + 3/4 cup water)
- 1 16-ounccan refried beans (Rosarita
- 1 can black sliced olives (Lindsay)
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese (or Follow Your Heart shreds, for dairy-free)
Make the tortillas smaller than the recipe suggests. One recipe should make 4 small tortillas instead of the 4 large. Set them aside or set aside easy-to-roll store-bought gluten free tortillas.
In a large skillet add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Don't allow the oil to smoke. (Smoking oil is unhealthy for you.)
Add the ground turkey (or beef or buffaland onion. Break apart the meat, cooking until no longer pink inside.
Add the taco seasoning and broth, stir, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
Heat the beans in a small saucepan and add a splash of chicken broth or water to thin them out just a little.
Place some beans down the center of one tortilla, add a few sliced olives, and sptinkle with cheese. Roll it up and place in a small individual platter or bowl.
Top with the ground turkey mixture and add tomatoes, olives, and cheese, if desired.
*The Organic Reduced Sodium variety is the only beef flavored Better Than Bouillon that is gluten free. Not all of their flavors are gluten free. Read the labels carefully. Last time, I bought mine on eBay.