KitchenAid has requested that I develop a recipe for them using their 6-Quart Slow Cooker with Easy Serve Lid. Though this is not the recipe I am creating for them, I had to share my gluten free pot roast recipe with you, which is what I made using their slow cooker yesterday. I hope you enjoy it, especially the gluten free beginners.
An easy slower cooker gluten free pot roast recipe with all the fixings. It's fall-apart-tender!
- 2 1/2 lb. chuck roast or bottom round roast
- 5 potatoes peeled or unpeeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced diagonally to 1/2-inch
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup gluten free beef or chicken broth (Better Than Bullion)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, to medium-high heat; brown the roast on all sides.
- Add the browned roast to the slow cooker; add the potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and seasonings; pour the broth over the top.
- Set the temperature to low and cook for 8 hours, undisturbed, meaning no lifting the lid, ever. (You don't have to worry about basting, as the slow cooker will do that for you with the steam it creates.)
- Once done, transfer the roast to a cutting board and slice thinly.
To Make the Gravy
- Either strain the broth or puree it once added, into a saucepan and bring to a boil. There will be about 2 cups of broth.
- In a separate container mix 2 tablespoons of Namaste Perfect Flour Blend, or your favorite gluten free all-purpose flour with at least double the amount of water. (You can also just sprinkle in or rice flour (brown or white) without any water. Add it to the broth and stir to smooth out all lumps.
- Once the broth reaches a boil, whisk in the flour mixture a little bit at a time until it reaches your desired thickness. Add more if necessary.
Because adding too carrots sweetens the gravy too much, cook additional carrots separately. You may skip the carrots all together in the slow cooker, if you like a more savory gravy.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
See more Gluten Free Roast Recipes.