If you like making scalloped potatoes using flour, this recipe is the perfect gluten free scalloped potatoes recipe. The sauce turns out creamy, smooth, cheesy, and plentiful, without the use of tons of cheese.
Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
The perfect gluten free scalloped potatoes recipe using one simple gluten free flour, no mixes or blends needed.
- 3 pounds russet or Yukon gold potatoes peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 5 tablespoons butter 2.5 ounces (or margarine)
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2-1/2 tablespoons brown rice flour (I used superfine)
- 1-3/4 cup 2% low-fat milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheese(s) (can use up to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan) (or dairy-free shreds)
- 3/4 cup full-fat sour cream (or more coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (or a little less of black pepper)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons “Organic” Reduced-Sodium Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base (optional)
- ground paprika for sprinkling
Butter a 10 x 10 x 5, 11 x 7 x 2, or 13 x 9 x 2 casserole dish; set aside.
As you slice the potatoes, transfer them to a 3-quart saucepan of cold water. Drain the water and add fresh, cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat and cook just until tender, about 13 more minutes. Once done, drain and set aside.
In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the onion until tender.
Whisk in the flour and cook over low heat for about 3 minutes to give the flour time to soften.
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the milk until hot but not boiling.
Stir in the cheese.
Once the cheese melts, add the sour cream, coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
Layer one-third of the potatoes in the casserole dish and pour one-third of the sauce over the top. Repeat two more times. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Bake for 20 minutes, uncovered. Increase heat to 4000°F and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until brown on the top.
Allow to cool a few minutes prior to serving.