One of my blog readers, Lisa, asked me today for the recipe for my Orange Sauce that she noticed in the photo of my Gluten Free Flourless Almond Cake Recipe. I hope you enjoy this orange sauce recipe. It can be used on ice cream, cake, and more. I even have drizzled it over a gluten free cream puff.
Orange Sauce to Top Gluten Free Desserts
A delicious, thick, orange sauce to top many desserts including my Flourless Gluten Free Almond Cake.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Peeled (not grated) zest from 1 large orange, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 3 oranges), strained
- Gluten free orange food coloring (optional) (McCormick's, AmeriColor or Select Tea natural)
- Melt sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. (Do not stir.)
- Once the sugar melts, stir and cook until it turns almost to an amber color.
- Add orange zest strips and stir to combine. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the orange juice into the pan; and cook over low heat. (If you have cooked the sugar too long and it becomes hard, keep cooking it until it dissolves again.)
- Once it dissolves, set pan aside for sauce to cool. Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired. Remove any pieces of orange zest and discard, if desire; or leave in and serve.
For a quick orange sauce recipe, use orange marmalade and hot water.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.