Whether you’re looking for a dessert muffin or a sweet treat for breakfast, these gluten free apple muffins with streusel topping are sure to please. Add optional nuts or oatmeal to the streusel topping if desired. Either make half a dozen or double the recipe for a full batch. Enjoy!
Small Batch Gluten Free Apple Streusel Muffins
This small batch recipe for gluten free apple muffins makes an amazing dessert or treat for breakfast. Top with cinnamon streusel, and nuts, if desired,
To Make the Streusel Topping:
- Combine the flour blend, sugars, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the cold butter into the dry mixture until crumbs form. If using, add finely chopped nuts and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Make the Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil or butter six muffin cups or line with paper liners; set aside.
- Cream together butter and shortening until fluffy and almost white in color. (I used a small food processor.)
- Add sugar and mix until thoroughly combined. on medium speed for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.
- Add egg and combine until just incorporated. Scrape sides of container as needed.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour blend, salt, and if using, baking powder. Add dry mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape bowl as needed and mix until batter forms a satin-like texture.
- Add vanilla and combine.
- Fold in chopped apples
- Distribute batter among six muffin cups. Top each with some streusel mixture.
- Bake on center shelf of the oven for 30 minutes and until a toothpick inserted near the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to completely cool, about 20 minutes.
*This recipe is one-fifth of the original recipe, which only contains 1/3 teaspoon of baking powder. So, if you want to add any to this recipe, use one-fifth of 1/3...so a very tiny amount, or none at all.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.