Whether you live in the U.S. and call this dish apple crisp or in the U.K or Australia and call it apple crumble, they all taste the same. The use of rice flour makes this gluten free apple crisp, actually crisp on top. Adjust the juices to your liking by using lemon or apple juice. Or kick it up a notch with rum; or when all else fails, plain old water works. You’ll find many apple crisp recipes that call for tart apples, however, this one calls for red apples. You will want to use sweet crisp apples such as Braeburn, Empire, or Gala, however, good old Red Delicious will do. Just make sure they’re firm. They don’t hold up as well as the other varieties. On the other hand, I enjoy soft, cooked apples. How about you?
A fairly easy gluten free apple crisp using just one flour, brown or white rice, no starches or gums...and it's delicious!
For the Apples:
- 2 Tablespoons apple juice, lemon juice, rum, or water
- 4 teaspoons sugar or brown sugar (or evaporated cane juice for refined-sugar-free)
- 4 cups crisp red apples, peeled, cored and cubed
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup white or brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (or dairy-free substitute), cold
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together well, the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon; cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or 2 knives; with your fingers, blend well, as you would with meatloaf; freeze until ready to use.
- Into a large bowl, add apple juice or your choice of liquid, and 4 teaspoons sugar; whisk together; add apples; toss well to coat; distribute into a baking dish or individual ramekins.
- Crumble the flour mixture over the apples; bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
Did you know that lemon juice is not the only way to prevent apples from browning once cut? For those with citrus allergies, use whisk a bit of cream of tartar into a bowl of cold water and soak the apples for about 20 seconds?
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
You may also be interested in
Sugar-Free Gluten-Free Pear and Apple Pistachio Crisp
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.