In Day 21 of the Authors’ Gluten-Free Recipes and KitchenAid Stand Mixer Giveaway Even , Robert Rose publishing presents, a wonderful gluten free breadsticks recipe from 125 Best Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt. They usually lean towards healthier recipes, and the addition of just a bit of almond flour in this recipes not only creates a bit of moisture, but an exceptional flavor. Enjoy! And thank you Donna and Heather!
Donna and Heather are both home economists and multi-title authors from Canada. Donna she spent years of cooking and reading labels for a young son with a wheat allergy. They teamed up and formed a company, Quality Professional Services, and developed recipes for bread machine manufacturers and eventually yeast companies. When they began to receive requests from gluten-free recipes, they welcomed the challenge. They not only develop gluten-free recipes, but wrote gluten-free cookbooks, as well as non-gluten-free cookbooks.
They both contribute recipe all over the Internet, as well as a few on this site.
"Serve these gluten-free breadsticks as Italian restaurants do — with a dish of flavored olive oil for dipping."
- 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan, lightly greased
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour (150 mL)
- 2 Tablespoons almond flour (30 mL)
- 1/4 cup potato starch (60 mL)
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch (30 mL)
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar (15 mL)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (6 mL)
- 2 teaspoon bread machine or instant yeast (10 mL)
- 3/4 teaspoon (3 mL)
- 3/4 cup water (175 mL)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar (5 mL)
- 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds (45 mL)
- In a large bowl or plastic bag, combine brown rice flour, almond flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt; mix well and set aside.
- Pour water, oil and vinegar into the bread machine baking pan.
- Select the Dough Cycle. As the bread machine is mixing, gradually add the dry ingredients, scraping bottom and sides of pan with a rubber spatula. Try to incorporate all the dry ingredients within 1 to 2 minutes. Stop bread machine as soon as the kneading portion of the cycle is complete. Do not let bread machine finish the cycle.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the sesame seeds in bottom of prepared pan. Drop dough by spoonfuls over the sesame seeds. Using a moistened rubber spatula, spread dough evenly to the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds. Using moistened rubber spatula, press seeds into dough. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from the pan and transfer immediately to a cutting board. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, cut bread into 12 equal strips. Roll Strips in loose sesame seeds in pan, pressing seeds into cut sides.
- Arrange slices, with cut sides exposed, at least 1/2 inch (1 cm) apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until dry, crisp and golden brown. Remove from the pan immediately and let cool completely on a rack.
To ensure success, see page 15 for information on using your bread machine and page 18 for general tips on bread machine baking.
Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients before adding them to the liquids — they are powder-fine and can clump together.
Don’t worry when seeds move as you spread the dough to the edges of the pan — they will still coat the breadsticks.
Carla's Note: To make this corn-free, substitute guar gum for the xanthan gum.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Excerpted from 125 Best Gluten-Free Bread Machine Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt © 2010 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved: Not to be reprinted without publisher permission.