This recipe can be made naturally gluten free, though I chose to add bacon, which you’ll need to ensure is gluten free. I love this gluten free broccoli salad, as it you can make it a number of ways….add shredded cheese, carrots, use almonds or walnuts, kick it up a notch with a spicy salad dressing, and more. I’ve listed a brand of bacon and bacon bits that are gluten free, but you can check out the Gluten Free Products List to find more. If you desire a dairy-free creamy dressing trying creaming avocado with a vinaigrette. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
A tasty gluten free broccoli salad served in a glass, sure to impress guests or make an everyday meal special; includes a number of variations.
- 1 head broccoli, florets only, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 slices gluten free bacon, cooked (or gluten free bacon bits such as Hormel bacon bits, pieces or crumbles)
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds (or sunflower seeds for nut-free)
- 3 pearl onions, sliced thinly (or red onion)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 carrot, shredded or julienne sliced, for garnish (or shredded cheese)
- Salad dressing of choice (I like mayonnaise, vinegar, salt & pepper)
- Boil a large pan of water; add broccoli pieces; cook for a short time, about 5 minutes, depending upon your tastes; drain; set aside.
- Fry bacon to a crisp; drain on paper towels; tear or cut into bite sized pieces; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; add almonds to a baking sheet in a single layer; bake for about 5 - 10 minutes, stirring/turning often; remove from pan; set aside. Alternatively, you can toast them in a frying pan on the stove top.
- To each glass, add your favorite creamy dressing, or if using vinaigrette, add last. Add broccoli, onions, raisins, toasted almonds, bacon pieces/bits; toss; top with a few shreds of carrots; and serve with extra dressing available.
See more Gluten Free Salad Recipes.