One of my Twitter followers recently asked me for a gluten free coffee mug cake recipe. I had never heard of a such a thing! So, curiosity got the best of best of me, and I had to get right on it. After a little research, I discovered that most recipes are actually a coffee cake, though you can make other cake recipes in a mug. I thought how great for those that are the only ones in their household that are gluten free to have their very own personal gluten free coffee cake, in minutes!
I also experimented with different ratios of flour to butter and brown sugar for the cinnamon streusel topping. I found that more moist the streusel is, the better the cake, however, it turns out a less attractive presentation. I went for a happy medium. If you don’t care what yours looks like, leave out 1/2 tablespoon flour, and just make sure your butter is very cold, and you cut the butter in quickly, to prevent softening. This way you’ll want to roll over in die. Heaven in minutes! Enjoy.
Note, the picture may not be very attractive, but I wanted to show you the texture of the cake. Hope it looks good enough to eat!
The perfect coffee cake with streusel topping, made egg-free, and portioned for one!
- 2 Tablespoons butter (or Earth Balance spread for dairy-free), softened
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe
- 3/8 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons non-fat milk*
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cold butter (or Earth Balance spread)
- Oil an 11 - 12 oz. coffee mug; set aside - not mandatory.
- To make the cake, in a small bowl, cut butter into sugar with a fork until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl (a little larger than a cereal bowl), whisk together the flour blend, baking powder and salt; add butter/sugar mixture, milk, and vanilla; stir until well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the bottom of the mug.
- In separate bowl, add all dry streusel ingredients; cut in the butter until the size of peas form.
- Add the streusel topping to the top of the batter in the mug. (It may appear too much, but it will distribute itself throughout the cake.)
- Cook in microwave for 80 seconds; cook for additional 10 second intervals until it stops falling when you stop the microwave, about a total of 90 - 100 seconds.
* Milk may be substituted with applesauce, though it makes it gummy. I suggest trying a high protein milk instead, if you're dairy-free.
Because the streusel topping moves downward, coating the sides of the cup as the cake rises, I like to reserve about 1 - 2 tablespoons of the topping and add it after the cake cooks for about 60 seconds, then return it to the microwave to cook completely in 10 seconds intervals.
For an 8 oz. Mug:
For the Coffee Mug Cake: 1 1/3 Tablespoons butter, softened 2 Tablespoons sugar 1/4 cup Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder Pinch of salt 2 1/3 Tablespoons non-fat milk* 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Streusel Topping: 1 Tablespoon Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend recipe 1 Tablespoon brown sugar 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon 1 Tablespoon cold butter
Visit Carla’s Gluten Free Online Store.
In collaboration with MassGeneral Hospital, 50% of all proceeds are donated to their Center for Celiac Research and Treatment.