I had a Facebook follower request that I publish a recipe for gluten free wild rice dressing. This is a unique and flavorful dressing. You may substitute the chickpeas for walnuts and the raisins and cranberries for all of one or the other. Use this as a gluten free stuffing recipe as well.
Note: I have decided from here on out to use the word “dressing” for a side dish that is baked in the oven in a casserole dish or foil and the word “stuffing” for what you stuff inside a bird.
Gluten Free Raisin and Walnut Wild Rice Dressing – Stuffing
Whether you are making stuffing or dressing, this gluten free wild rice stuffing recipe is so flavorful, you won't even need a turkey! Serve it year round.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
- 7 cups gluten free low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable for vegetarian) (O-Organics carton, HerbOx and water, or 8 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon and 7 cups water)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh, finely chopped sage (or flat leaf parsley)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 cup chickpeas from a can, rinsed and drained (or 1-1/4 cups walnuts, chopped and toasted in a skillet for 5 minutes, tossing often)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat a large skillet with oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, 7 - 8 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, add salt; bring to a boil.
- Stir in the wild rice. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the long grain rice, cover, and simmer an additional 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the majority of the water is absorbed.
- Fold in the raisins, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Season with pepper and toss gently with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Oil a 9x13-inch heat-proof dish. Scoop the rice into the dish and bake 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Alternatively, stuff your bird with this wild rice stuffing.
- Oil a 9x13-inch heat-proof casserole dish. Scoop the rice into the dish and bake 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Alternatively, stuff your bird with this wild rice stuffing.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.