A French vanilla ice cream recipe made with fresh vanilla bean using a rich homemade custard much like creme brulee.
French Vanilla Ice Cream (Naturally Gluten Free)
A rich vanilla ice cream between vanilla bean ice cream and French vanilla. Naturally gluten-free, it makes a fantastic treat for everyone.
- 2 1/3 cups non-fat milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1 1/8 cups granulated sugar (1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Split vanilla bean down the center. Scrape the seeds into a large saucepan and add the entire bean, as well.
- Add milk and cream and bring almost to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a medium-size bowl using a handheld blender (or in a food processor, mixer, or blender), cream together egg yolks, eggs, and sugar until light in color.
- Remove 1 cup of the hot cream/milk mixture, slowly add it to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Remove the saucepan from the burner and slowly pour in the egg mixture. whisking constantly.
- Return to heat and cook until the mixture coats the back of the spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Then freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. In a 2-Quart Cuisinart Machine it takes 25 minutes, depending upon how long the bowl has been frozen. I froze my bowl for about 16 hours. They recommend at least 4 hours, but that is not long enough at all.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.