This gluten free blueberry coffee cake may be made three different ways. You can use canned blueberry pie filling and layer it as seen in the photo below and add an optional glaze. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries and fold them into the batter. Lastly, once you fold the blueberries into the batter you can top it with the streusel topping recipe I have supplied below. I chose the quickest method, pie filling, and it was delicious. Enjoy this blueberry coffee cake, no matter how you assemble it. I have included instructions on how to bake it in a 9-inch round pan, 9 x 9-inch square pan, or see the tips section for making a larger one in a 9 x 13-inch pan.
Gluten Free Blueberry Coffee Cake
A gluten free blueberry coffee cake recipe made with a homemade gluten free bisquick blend. You have a few options as to how to assemble it. Layer it, mix in the blueberries, or top it with a streusel topping. Use fresh, frozen, or canned blueberry topping.
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Butter or oil a 9-inch round cake pan or pie pan, or a 9 x 9 square baking pan and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the gluten free bisquick mix and sugar.
- Add the butter/margarine on top. Using a pastry cutter or 2 knifes, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse meal forms.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, and vanilla together. Add the flour/butter mixture to the milk mixture and whisk it until it is thoroughly incorporated.
- If using fresh or frozen blueberries: Fold the blueberries into the batter using a rubber spatula. Add the batter to the prepared pan. If you choose to use the streusel topping, mix all of the steusel ingredients together and top the batter with streusel topping.
- If using pie filling: Add 2/3 of the batter to the prepared pan, top with a little more than half of a can of blueberry pie filling or enough to cover the top of the batter evenly. Drop dots of the remaining batter on top.
- Bake 9-inch round pans for about 50 minutes and 9 x 9 square pans for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted turns out clean. Start testing it after 35 minutes.
To Make the Optional Glaze:
- Add the confectioner's sugar to a cup; add the softened butter and stir until it is thoroughly incorporated. Add the milk and vanilla and stir well. Baste over warm coffee cake or between dough dots.
To make a 9 x 13-inch coffee cake use the following measurements:
2 cups Homemade Gluten Free Bisquick Recipe
3/4 cup sugar
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, cut pieces
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (or canned Comstock or Wilderness blueberry pie filling)
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.