When you’re looking for something different to make for dinner, make these delicious gluten free chicken and bacon quesadillas in the oven or on the stovetop. The bacon and added spices make a healthy substitute for chorizo (no red dye, soy, or unwanted pork parts). Use traditional bacon or turkey bacon, as long as the brand is gluten free. Use brown or white meat chicken. Add your favorite quesadilla toppings or eat plain and you’re good to go!
Godshall’s Uncured Turkey Bacon Ingredients:
TURKEY, WATER, VINEGAR, SEA SALT, RAW SUGAR, CELERY POWDER.
Available in 40-ounce packages at Sam’s Club for $8.97 or 10-ounce packages elsewhere.
This recipe is available to everyone.
Gluten Free Chicken and Bacon Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil avocado, canola, etc., divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts small diced (453 g)
- 1/4 pound bacon 3 slices Godshall’s Uncured Turkey Bacon @ Sam’s Club (or GF chorizo) (75 g)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free chipotle sauce or more to taste, divided (Bufalo brand)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika divided
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder divided
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced (about 3 – 4 cups of onion or onion and red bell pepper)
- 1 large garlic cloves grated or minced (or 2 small)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 12 100% white corn tortillas Mission Super Soft Tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or Follow Your Heart Shreds for dairy-free)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 450⁰F with rack in the center.
Add half of the oil to a large preheated skillet. Add the chicken and set a timer for 7 minutes. Stir after about 2 minutes of cooking or until liquid evaporates. (You’ll cook it more in the oven.)
After a total of about 4 minutes of cooking, add the bacon, sprinkle everything with half of the seasonings and stir occasionally through the end of the 10-minute timer. Transfer to a heatproof plate or bowl; set aside.
Add the remaining oil to the skillet and heat. Add the onion, and red peppers, if using; season with the remaining seasonings, stir occasionally, and saute for until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and stir. Saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the cooked chicken and bacon, stir, and season with salt and pepper, to taste; remove from heat; set aside.
For crispy quesadillas, oil the baking sheet. Place up to 4 tortillas on each baking sheet and top with 1/6 of the chicken-bacon mixture. Top with 1/6 the cheese and top with another tortilla.
Bake for 7 – 8 minutes or until cheese melts.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 – 5 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve. Top with gluten free salsa, sour cream, or guacamole. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
*Chorizo: Just like cold cuts, bacon, hot dogs, and other sausage, chorizo may contain gluten. So, be sure to carefully read labels.
To make in a skillet, build the quesadilla in a skillet and then heat, covered until cheese melts. Preoil the skillet if you desire a crisp bottom.
For less cleanup, use kitchen scissors to cut up the bacon. Do not cut the bacon or anything else on a cutting board that has been used for raw chicken. Instead, wash immediately.