A delicious gluten free chicken marsala recipe that has just a touch of sweetness. If you haven’t found a marsala you enjoy, try making your own. This one is devine!
Gluten Free Chicken Marsala
Gluten free chicken marsala made crispy and then topped with an amazing mushroom wine sauce.
- For the Chicken:
- 2 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts sliced in half horizontally (lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup white or brown rice flour (or potato or cornstarch)
- Salt and ground black pepper. to taste
- Up to 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- For the Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup gluten free chicken broth* (Herb Ox, O Organics)
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar** (dark or light) (or pinch of stevia for sugar-free)
- White or brown rice flour, for thickening (optional)
- Homemade Burnt Sugar - Caramel Coloring, to taste
- Chopped flat leaf parsley or basil, for garnish (optional)
- To Make the Chicken:
- Using a tenderizing mallet or the bottom of a heavy glass, pound each chicken half breast so that each one is level in thickness.
- To a shallow bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge all sides of the breasts in the flour mixture; and set aside.
- Preheat a heavy skillet with oil over medium-high heat or an electric skillet to 350ºF.
- Working in batches, if necessary, fry each side of the chicken slices for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and no longer pink inside. Remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and keep in a warm oven.
- To Make the Sauce:
- Reduce the skillet's heat to medium, add the butter, and stir until it melts.
- Add the wine, broth and sugar; and stir until sugar melts, about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Taste again and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add caramel coloring or Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet, if desired. Burnt sugar is the best choice for this sauce since it is already sweet.
- If you desire a thicker sauce and you don't have time to reduce the sauce, sprinkle in a little rice flour and stir until thick.
- Add chicken to each plate, top with sauce and mushrooms, and serve immediately.
*Prepared chicken broth may contain allergens. Read labels carefully.
**If you prefer not to use brown sugar, consider substituting 1/4 cup of sweet Marsala wine for savory and omit the sugar.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.