I surveyed my Facebook friends, and it was a toss up whether I should make gluten free snack bars with a chocolate or graham cracker flavor for my next blog post. Since I discovered I was fresh out of gluten free graham crackers, I found my answer. How this whole idea started was when I first made my Chocolate Chip Bars and Cranberry Walnut Bars.
Then, when I went to the Natural Foods Expo West trade show earlier this year I had the best raw food bar, ever, Raw Revolution’s Organic Greens Super Food Bar. While this recipe is not raw, it can easily be made raw by substituting the graham crackers or chocolate wafers for additional nuts, and adding some pure natural cocoa powder for
healthier gluten free snack bars. Along with the above, adding some sunflower seeds, flax seeds, shredded coconut and/or whole grain gluten free flour would work, as well, as a substitute for the crackers or cookies. Use a little sorghum flour and some honey if you wish to make a graham cracker flavor. You could even add in some favorite blue-green algae for a healthy boost. Enjoy either way. A must-make to add to your gluten free recipes collection!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Snack Bar (or Graham Cracker): No Bake with Raw Options
Enjoy either a chocolaty or honey graham snack bar that you can feel good about eating!
- 30 (4 cups) Pamela's Products Simplebites Extreme Chocolate Mini Cookies* (or Gluten Free Graham Crackers or undipped Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies or Gluten Free Chocolate Wafers)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil (grape seed, coconut, etc.)
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 12 whole organic medjool dates (use whole dates, as pieces may be coated with oat flour), halved, pitted and soaked in warm water for 5 minutes
- In the bowl of your food processor, add the cookies or crackers and pulsate until they are thoroughly crumbed, but not so much that they develop into a paste.
- Add in remaining ingredients and pulsate until it all starts sticking together. By the way, no need to chop the nuts. They may be added whole or chopped.
- In an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan (or separately into muffin tins) add the mixture and press into pan. With the back of a tablespoon or soup spoon, glide it back and forth in both directions while pressing down, until you have a flat surface. Use a clean paper towel to absorb any excess oil that forms on top.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Cut into the sizes you desire. Store in individual ziplock bags or wrap in saran wrap. You may also cover and leave them in the existing pan and cut as needed.
*For raw, vegan egg-free and refined sugar-free variations use the suggestions above, versus the cookies or crackers. Pamela's Products cookies contain egg, but are dairy-free, refined sugar-free (evaporated cane sugar is used), corn-free and soy-free.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.