Instead of relying on commercially made graham crackers, you can whip up this gluten free graham cracker crust all in one step. Adding flax seed meal not only provides additional fiber and nutrition, but it makes this crust moist. The nutritional value is tri-fold: fiber, the same healing ingredient found in aloe vera, and omega 3s. Brown flax seeds are higher than the golden variety, but it’s all up to you which one you use. Perhaps you’ll find your favorite indulgence a little more guilt-free. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust with Flax
A healthier, yet very flavorful and moist gluten free graham cracker crust made with flax seed meal.
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup corn starch (or potato starch if corn-free)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal (or 2 additional Tablespoons unsalted butter)
- 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) gluten free oats, ground or flour (Use more sorghum if you're oat intolerant.)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum, for corn-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 8 Tablespoons (stick) butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons warm water (just warm enough to dissolve honey)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients for crust.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives cut butter into dry ingredients.
- Add water, honey and vanilla together in a cup and whisk thoroughly; add to dry ingredients and blend until a dough is formed; allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of a 10" springform pan and up the sides about 1/4" to 1/2".
- Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes. If you see the crust browning, remove it immediately.
For additional moisture, bake this crust in a water bath. Just ensure that your spring form pan seals well.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.