I can’t believe how light these gluten free sausage cheese balls turned out. The previous ones I made tasted more like bread and they are only baked. You can check the previous recipe at Gluten Free Sausage & Cheese Bread Balls. You can either bake or deep-fry this new recipe.
Gluten Free Sausage Cheese Balls & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
You can either bake or deep-fry these gluten free sausage cheese balls. They are so delicious!
For the Sausage Cheese Balls:
- 4 oz. gluten-free, mild, Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup Carla's Lighter Homemade Gluten Free Bisquick Recipe Mix
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (or Kraft shaker)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika (smoked, if desired)
- 1/16 - 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional), for heat
- 5 Tablespoons milk of choice
- 1 large egg, beaten (optional if egg intolerant, but add 3 Tbsp. milk)
- Potato or corn starch for dusting
For the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup gluten free mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmann's)
- 1/4 cup gluten free mustard (French's or Grey Poupon)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat a deep-fryer or large pot with at least 2-inches of oil to 350°F.
- Place the sausage in a large bowl.
- Add the gluten free bisquick mix, Cheddar, Parmesan, parsley, rosemary, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Top with the ingredients with milk and beaten egg. Using your hands, mix to thoroughly combine.
- Using starch dusted hands, shape the dough mixture into one-inch balls; and set aside.
- Working in batches, places a few balls into the hot oil using a slotted spoon. Fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove using a slotted spoon, allowing excess grease to drip away. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve immediately with honey mustard sauce or sour cream for dipping.
- To make the honey mustard sauce, whisk together all sauce ingredients together until smooth.
For a baked version, bake on a lightly oiled baking sheet in a 350ºF oven for 22 to 26 minutes.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.