This is one of those gluten free recipes that truly tastes spectacular. I have stopped using pine nuts in my pesto awhile ago. Almonds provide much more flavor. I have been searching for a way of creating a creamy dairy-free pesto and I finally figured how to achieve it, with avocado! I’m an avocado lover and am always on the lookout on how to use them in new ways. My husband, however, is not a fan of avocados, so I just split the recipe in half and make one with avocado and other half with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, as in my Gluten Free Almond Pesto recipe. Because pesto is raw, you can use it on vegetable pasta for a gluten free raw dish, as well. Avocado pesto – I’m hooked, and I bet you will be, too.
A classic creamy basil pesto with a dairy-free twist, avocado, which makes it creamier than dairy ever could!
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched (no skin) almonds
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed, minced or grated
- Fresh ground pepper. to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar + pinch of stevia)
- 2 Tablespoons or more of pasta water (or water)
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Toss with hot gluten free pasta and it warms right up. You may also add chunks of cooked chicken. It's great on hamburgers or sandwiches; as a spread for bruschetta or crackers; or as a dip.