This recipe is dairy free, refined sugar-free and additive-free. I love pistachio ice cream but have had trouble thinking of a way to make it green without using artificial food coloring. I recently learned that avocados may be used as a substitute for eggs. Do you see where this is going? A raw avocado ice cream recipe made with almond milk, but instead of using vanilla extract, as some may have thought, I used almond extract. Just delicious! It also contains agave syrup. Check out my recipe below.
Raw Almond Pistachio Avocado Ice Cream
A dairy-free avocado ice cream recipe. Incredible, as you cannot taste the avocado. Use almond milk and almond extract. It's truly amazing!
- 2 cups Raw Almond Milk
- 2/3 cup agave syrup
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Raw pistachio nuts, chopped or halved, for addin
- In a food processor cream avocado and agave syrup.
- Add raw almond milk and almond extract until well blended. Scrape sides if needed.
- Turn on ice cream machine and pour mixture in.
- Follow manufacture's instructions for timing. I have a 2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker and it takes about 25 minutes to freeze in the machine and 2 hours in a container in the freezer.
- The last 5 minutes, add pistachio nuts or any desired add-in.
- Sprinkle with pistachio nuts and serve.
I made this recipe to be low-fat by using only 1 avocado and it came out delicious, but it is much creamier with 2. Using one avocado makes this ice cream in between ice cream and ice milk.
I do not suggest mixing the nuts into the ice cream prior to freezing, as I have tried this before and the raw pistachios become soft.
You can always serve this as a soft serve. It was good before I added the pistachio nuts, but the pistachio nuts make it taste richer.
Use "raw" agave if you wish to make a real raw food!
Though not raw, adding 1/4 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum, makes it less icy, and adds a bit of a chew, as in store-bought ice cream.
© Copyrighted 2010 - 2015. Carla's Gluten Free Recipe Box. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
This recipe has been featured on FAVEDIETS BLOG.