This recipe is dairy free, refined sugar-free and additive-free. I love pistachio ice cream but have had trouble thinking of a way to make it green without using artificial food coloring. I recently learned that avocados may be used as a substitute for eggs. Do you see where this is going? A raw avocado ice cream recipe made with almond milk, but instead of using vanilla extract, as some may have thought, I used almond extract. Just delicious! It also contains agave syrup. Check out my recipe below.
A dairy-free avocado ice cream recipe. Incredible, as you cannot taste the avocado. Use almond milk and almond extract. It's truly amazing!
- 2 cups Raw Almond Milk
- 2/3 cup agave syrup
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Raw pistachio nuts, chopped or halved, for topping
- In a food processor cream avocado and agave syrup.
- Add raw almond milk and almond extract until well blended. Scrape sides if needed.
- Turn on ice cream machine and pour mixture in.
- Follow manufacture's instructions for timing. I have a 2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker and it takes about 25 minutes to freeze in the machine and 2 hours in a container in the freezer.
- Serve and sprinkle with pistachio nuts.
I made this recipe to be low-fat by using only 1 avocado and it came out delicious, but it is much creamier with 2. Using one avocado makes this ice cream in between ice cream and ice milk.
I do not suggest mixing the nuts into the ice cream prior to freezing, as I have tried this before and the raw pistachios become soft.
You can always serve this as a soft serve. It was good before I added the pistachio nuts, but the pistachio nuts make it taste richer.
Use "raw" agave if you wish to make a real raw food!
Though not raw, adding 1/4 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum, makes it less icy, and adds a bit of a chew, as in store-bought ice cream.
This recipe has been featured on FAVEDIETS BLOG.