Last Updated onContaining almond and coconut flour, this delicious, spongy, moist, low carb chocolate cake is gluten free, dairy free, keto, and paleo. Choose a nut, whipped dairy topping, or rich chocolate dairy-free frosting. This cake is also scrumptious when served plain as a snacking cake. The recipe also provides you with choices of fat, coconut oil, butter, or ghee. The texture alone makes this the best low carb chocolate cake!
This recipe is available to everyone.
Low Carb Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 cup superfine almond flour (5 oz/139g)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (2 oz/57g)
- 1 cup unsweetened gluten-free Dutch processed cocoa powder or traditional , (3 oz./85g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon more if you’d like to mask the coconut flavor
- 4-1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons gluten free baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1-1/2 cups erythritol sugar-free substitute of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (or ghee or unsalted butter), melted
- 7 large eggs separated
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid stevia divided
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped nuts or Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting or Chocolate Whipped Cream
Preheat the oven to 325⁰F; oil a 9×13-inch baking dish; set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the zucchini, erythritol, coconut oil, egg yolks, and only 1/2 teaspoon liquid stevia until some of the sugar breaks down, about 3 minutes
Beat in the vanilla until just combined; set aside.
In a clean bowl, fitted with the balloon/whisk attachment (preferably the bowl and beaters should be chilled), beat the egg whites and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon liquid stevia until they become stiff, but not dry. Fold into the chocolate batter, one-third at a time, rotating the bowl as fold.
Transfer the batter to the prepared dish. Top with nuts, if desired. Bake for 55 minutes or until the middle is set and no longer jiggles when shaken.
Completely cool on a wire rack in the dish.
Slice and serve as desired. You can serve plain, top with dairy free frosting, ice cream, or whipped cream sweetened with sugar-free powdered sweetener. You can even add a little cocoa powder to the whipped cream.
Using coconut oil adds additional coconut flavor.