Perfect for Father’s Day (most Dad’s love cherry), these gluten free double chocolate cherry bombs will be a huge hit! With their quick bread texture (similar in weight and texture to banana bread), everyone will enjoy these treasures. Make dairy free or with dairy. Use a commercially packaged gluten free flour that contains dairy or Carla’s all-purpose gluten free flour blend recipe for dairy-free.
Gluten Double Chocolate Cherry Bombs (Dairy & Egg-Free)
These gluten free double chocolate cherry bombs are egg-free and may be made dairy-free as well resulting in the same, wonderful flavor and texture.
- Oil or gluten-free baking spray, for pan
- 1/2 cup Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour for dairy version) (or Carla's Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend Recipe for dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten free unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey's)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder (Rumford's)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free mini semi-sweet chocolate chips - Enjoy Life, divided (or traditional-size dairy chips, roughly chopped - Nestle's), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening (Spectrum Organic)
- 24 gluten free maraschino cherries with stems (Royal Harvest - Nature's)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with oil.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together the flour mix, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, mashing any cocoa powder lumps with the back of the spoon.
- In a smaller, separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir together.
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling them almost level with the pan.
- Bake on the center shelf of the oven for 15 minutes, or until set.
- Allow the chocolate bites to cool in the pans for 10 - 15 minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack. While they are still warm, using the back of large spoon, poke holes in each chocolate muffin about the size of the cherry; set aside to begin cooling.
- Set the cherries on a plate lined with several paper towels to absorb any excess juice; set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 1/2 teaspoon shortening in the microwave on high in 20-second increments, stirring in between until they fully melt.
- Dip each drained cherry, holding onto its stem, halfway into the melted chocolate. Transfer to the hole in the mini muffins.
- Chill in the refrigerate or freezer until the chocolate is set and completely cool. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.