I have to say, this is the best chili I have ever eaten! It reminds me of ham and beans, made with fresh ham. It is very flavorful, and is made without chili powder and without tomatoes. Due to the amount of cumin it is on the mild spicy side. To make it kid-friendly, cut back on the cumin, and add additional salt. You can easily make this black bean chicken chili organic by using all organic produce and free-range or organic chicken.
Gluten Free Black Bean Chicken Chili (Without Tomatoes)
An incredibly flavorful black bean chicken chili spiced with cumin and oregano with a creamy sauce. Simple to make and delicious. Make organic or not.
- 1 1/2 lbs. (3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small (3/4 - 1 cup) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced then coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced then coarsely chopped
- 2 medium to large garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 4 - 15 oz. cans gluten free black beans, divided, rinsed several times and drained (La Preferida Organic brand)
- 2 cups gluten free low-sodium chicken broth (I used round heaping teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon + water)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Preheat large pot on medium-high heat; add oil; after 15 seconds or so, add chicken. Cook until no longer pink. Lower heat to medium-low and add onion and peppers; saute until tender; add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add 3 cans of beans, broth and spices; cook on medium-low for about 30 - 45 minutes. Increase temperature to medium-high and reduce, stirring often. Add last can of beans, stir and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until warm. Adding the one can of beans at the ends prevents them all from breaking open and creaming.
- Serve plain or over rice or with Soft Gluten Free Naan. Using chicken broth instead of water in the rice provides additional flavor. Top with shredded cheese, chopped yellow onion or sliced green onion, if desired.
For other brands of gluten free chicken broth check the [Gluten Free Products List|http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-product-list}
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.
Did you know?
Chicken labeled organic are always free-range, but not all free-range chicken is necessarily organic.