In preparation for Super Bowl Sunday, I began experimenting with chicken wings. Out of all of my Super Bowl Sunday Gluten Free Recipes, the most popular is my Bacon Wrapped Honey Chicken. This may beat that one, or at least tie it! These wings are first steamed in the oven and then baked to a crisp, while they remain tender and juicy inside.
Gluten Free Oven Maple Honey Chicken Wings
A sweet and, if desired, spicy gluten free chicken wings recipe, both steamed and baked right in the oven!
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/3 cup gluten free teriyaki sauce (or homemade recipe
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium gluten free tamrari sauce (San-J) (or GF soy sauce, coconut aminos or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup honey
- t teaspoon gluten free hot sauce (optional) (I like to use Bufalo brand chipotle sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Using poultry scissors or a sharp knife, cut off the tips of the wings at the joint. (Save the tips to flavor stock*.) Transfer the remaining wing portions to a gallon-size resealable storage bag.
- If desired, line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with with parchment paper or foil to make clean up easier.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper in a bowl. Pour into the gallon-sized bag. Rub the chicken wings with the mixture to coat them thoroughly.
- Transfer the wings to the baking dish, cover with foil, and bake for about 1 hour, turning pieces over at least twice through baking. At this point, they may be covered and refrigerated for future baking.
- Otherwise, remove the foil and increase the temperature to 425ºF. Continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes. Turn the wings over and bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until tender on the inside and crisp on the outside. Serve warm. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
*When boiling chickens wing tips to make stock, chill the stock once made. Then skim off the excess grease as it floats to the top and hardens.
Depending upon what else is being served and the appetite of each individual will depend upon how many wings per person you need. Visit Calcuate This' website to calculate this.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.