One of my Facebook followers recently asked me for a gluten free pumpkin roll recipe. Last year, I developed a recipe for one of my clients, but I don’t have the copyrights to that recipe. Therefore, here is a new one. I hope you enjoy it. I adapted and converted Trisha Yearwood’s wheat flour pumpkin roll recipe on Food Network.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll Cake – Roulade
A delicious and moist gluten free pumpkin roll filled with a rich cream cheese filling that will please your gluten-eating as well as gluten-free guests.
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup Carla's All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (Rumford)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 1/2 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Oil a half baking sheet (17 x 12-inch) and set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the four egg whites until soft peaks forms; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add egg yolks, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and vanilla; beat on medium speed until combined.
- In yet another separate bowl, whisk together the flour blend, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; sift into the egg yolk/sugar mixture. Beat on medium speed until it is thoroughly combined.
- Using a rubber or silicone spatula, fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Scoop the batter onto the baking sheet and distribute evenly.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool in the pan for about 4 minutes. Then oil the wire rack and invert the cake onto it.
- Dust a large tea towel with confectioner' sugar and immediately transfer the cake to the towel while it is still warm. Fold the all four sides of the towel to envelope the cake. Roll the cake as if you were rolling up the finished and filled cake. Allow the cake to cool at room temperature while rolled.
To Make the Filling:
- Add the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla to the bowl of your mixer. Beat until creamy.
- Once the cake is cool, unroll it and distribute the filling evenly over the top.
- Carefully roll the cake up again and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- Add a little confectioners' sugar to a handheld mesh strainer and tap it gently to dust the top of the roll cake.
- Slice with a knife dipped in warm water. This prevents many of the crumbs from getting on the filling.
Feel free to add some chopped walnuts or pecans to the filling.
Do not use your average cream cheese frosting for a filling. The filling contains much more cream cheese than regular frosting.
© Copyrighted 2009 - 2016. Wilkins Publishers. All rights reserved. All content, photos and images are copyrighted by us or their respective owners. You must obtain permission by their owners before using any of them.